The Parish of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage in Tondo, Manila was gifted with a truly colorful history by no less than two Papal Visits, the first late Pope Paul VI on November 30 1970 and the second by Pope John Paul II on February 18 1981. It was, in fact, Pope Paul VI together with the late Archbishop Rufino Cardinal Santos who officially erected the parish on March 16 1971. As early as 1970, the Holy Father knew already that the Sto Niño Parish was so extensive and that the task of attending to the spiritual needs of its parishioners was difficult and of such enormous proportion to cope with. Then the Holy See and the Archdiocese of Manila initiated the plan to divide the Sto. Niño Parish into four different parishes namely: the San Pablo Parish in the Vitas and Velasquez Area, the Don Bosco Parish in Barrio Magsaysay, the former Sto Niño Parish, and the Parish of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage encompassing Barrio Fugoso, San Antonio 1 and 2, Sandigo, Slip-zero, Luzviminda Village, Dulo Puting Bato and the North Harbor area which lend a measure of relevance to the name given the parish.
Upon its formal erection, the parish was entrusted to the Augustinian Recollect Fathers; with Rev. Fr. Jesus Sobejano, OAR as the parish priest. He served in this capacity from 1971 to 1974. His successor, Rev. Fr. Melchor Dano, OAR has been serving the parish for the past eight years and still willing to serve the poor people of Tondo for a good many more years.
In 1972, Fr. Sobejano working in a collaboration with a committee headed by Mr. and Mrs. Clemente San Gabriel, initiated effort to avail of much bigger piece of land for the permanent site of the church. The process was long and tedious, almost hopeless, but their efforts were soon rewarded. Sometime on June 29 1979, Fr. Dano who have been at the helm for five years, together with some prominent members of the parish community, succeeded in the gigantic task of acquiring 1200 square meter lot situated in the Delpan bliss area, from the National Housing Authority. Certainly, the kind of intercession of the First Lady Madam Imelda Romualdez Marcos, and Manila Mayor Ramon Bagatsing had the Lion’s share in the acquisition of the said lot. His Eminence Jaime Cardinal Sin, officiated the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass during corner stone laying on August 12 1979, with Mayor Bagatsing, the Barangay captains of Zone 2 and 3 of Tondo district, and the parishioners in attendance.
Other events timeline:
- April 4 1971: First Holy Mass in this newly-created parish was held at avery small chapel along Sandigo st., Tondo.
- February 18 1981: Visit of Pope John Paul II to the parish which was yet 40% complete.
- September 7 1981: First mass inside the church which was then 75% complete
- August 15 2009: Visit and celebration of the Holy Mass of the selected members of Federation of Asian Bishops Conference (FABC)
- 2010-February 2011: Renovations and repainting of the church and convent; Enhancement of Altar, Retablo of the image and Tabernacle
- March 16 2011: Celebration of 40th anniversary of the parish; Dedication of the Church by Most Rev. Bernardino C. Cortez, DD, Auxiliary Bishop of Manila
- March 16 2012: Parochial Coronation of the Image of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage Parish by Rev. Fr. Lauro V. Larlar, OAR, Prior Provincial.
Parish Priests of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage Parish:
- Jesus Subejano, OAR (1971-1974)
- Melchor Leopoldo Dano, OAR (1974-1984)
- Jun Macabudbud,OAR (1984-1985)
- Leonardo Pauligue,OAR (1985-1989)
- Victor Virtudazo, OAR (1989-1993)
- Loreto Dacanay, OAR (1993-1994)
- Casiano Cosmilla, OAR (1994-1997)
- Florizel Dabalos, OAR (1997-2000)
- Federico Gregorio,OAR (2000-2003)
- Jonathan Caballero, OAR (2003-2006)
- Randy Castillo Jr.,OAR (2006-2009)
- Joseph Granada, OAR (2009-present)