Circular No. 2023 – 17
14 February 2023
TO: ALL PARISH PRIESTS, TEAM MINISTRY MODERATORS AND MEMBERS, RECTORS, MISSION STATION PRIESTS, AND CHAPLAINS IN THE ARCHDIOCESE OF MANILA
RE: INSTRUCTIONS FOR ASH WEDNESDAY
Dear Monsignori, Fathers, Brothers and Sisters:
Greetings of peace in the Lord!
The Archdiocesan Liturgical Commission would like to communicate some reminders for the celebration of Ash Wednesday in our communities:
- We will revert to the imposition of ashes on the forehead of the faithful.
- The formula for the imposition of ashes “Repent and believe in the Gospel” or “Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return” or in Tagalog, “Magbagong-buhay ka
at sa Mabuting Balita sumampalataya or Alalahanin mong abo ang iyong pinanggalingan at abo rin sa wakas ang iyong babalikan” will be used.
- The imposition of ashes is always done in the context of a liturgical celebration. It derives its meaning from the proclamation of the Word and prayers.
- Priests and Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion may visit the sick and the elderly for the imposition of ashes.
- Let us discourage self-imposition of ashes. We receive the ashes because the call to repentance is addressed to us by Christ through the Church and it is also through the ministry of the Church that we are reconciled with God and each other.
- The fruit of our Lenten penance can be offered during the Evening Mass of the Lord’s Supper as our “gifts for the poor.” This is an explanatory rite of the Mass that expresses our responsibility towards the poor of the community. We can also contribute to Alay Kapwa that funds our social services for the poor or to FAST2FEED or Hapag-Asa to feed the hungry and malnourished children.
Thank you very much. Let us unite ourselves in prayer.
Sincerely in the Lord Jesus,
CARMELO P. ARADA, JR.