Tuesday, 08 September 2020 15:36

Parishes to prepare provisions for COVID-safe Sacrament of Confessions


Parishes in the Archdiocese of Manila will open its doors again to allow the faithful to receive God’s mercy through the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

In a Pastoral Instruction entitled, “Have mercy on me, Lord, have mercy” released on Tuesday, September 8, Nativity of the Blessed Mother Mary, Most Rev. Broderick Pabillo, Apostolic Administrator of Manila encouraged the faithful to receive the grace of forgiveness amidst the fear to be infected by the coronavirus.

“Because of the continuing threat of the Corona Virus there are still people who are hesitant to come to church, much more to come to confession. But we should not allow fear to dictate on our actions. We always have to take necessary precautions, but there are important matters of our life that we have to attend to even with the presence of Covid 19, and confession is one of them,” he said.


According to the Bishop, “parishes are instructed to set aside time for confession and to make provisions for places for confessions that are hygienically safe for both the priest and the penitent.”

He also added that the faithful can make an appointment in the parish office if they would like to receive the sacrament.

“Each one may also make an appointment in the parish office for confession and the priests will readily accommodate you. Confession cannot be done online. It has to be done personally. So I invite all to take time to receive this sacrament in the coming weeks,” he said.

The Bishop at the end of his pastoral instruction reminded the faithful of the need to make a sincere act of repentance to allow the pouring of God’s grace and generosity.

“But let us take away the blocks that can hinder the flow of God’s love to us. This block is sin, and sin can be taken away by turning away from it through sincere repentance. The ordinary way of exercising repentance is the sacrament of confession. Let us go to confession that the grace of God’s love and his assistance may rush into our lives and our families,” the Bishop said.

At the start of the quarantine period, religious activities were suspended and online masses were held as substitutes for masses held in churches with the congregation.

Last week, the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) allowed religious activities at 10 percent of the church’s seating capacity under the General Community Quarantine (GCQ). (Jheng Prado/RCAM-AOC)

 

ENGAGE WITH US

Please, enter your name
Please, enter your phone number
Please, enter your e-mail address Mail address is not not valid
Please, enter your message
Copyright © 2020 Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Manila. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Disclaimer