Several notable Marian national shrines and minor basilicas in the Philippines will participate in the global day of prayer for the universal synod, as proclaimed by the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP). This important event seeks the intercession and guidance of Our Lady for the 16th Ordinary Assembly of the Synod of Bishops, which is currently underway.
The International Shrine of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage in Antipolo City, also known as the Antipolo Cathedral, is at the forefront of the national celebration. The CBCP has charged this venerated shrine with leading the day’s activities.
The celebrations at the Antipolo Cathedral will begin at 4:30 p.m. with a procession, followed by a catechetical discourse on synodality. Participants will then recite the rosary, culminating in a mass officiated over by Bishop Pablo Virgilio David, President of the CBCP, at 6:00 p.m.
The invitation for the day of Marian prayer came directly from Pope Francis, who asked the worldwide Church to unite in prayer to seek Our Lady’s protection for the ongoing synodal process. In accordance with the Pope’s request, the Secretariat of the Universal Synod suggested that the moment of prayer be conducted at a Marian shrine of national significance or at multiple Marian shrines chosen to be representative. Alternately, the prayer may be conducted at all Marian shrines within a specified territory.
The participation of prominent Marian shrines and minor basilicas in the Philippines demonstrates the Filipino people’s profound devotion to Mary. It reflects their intention to seek her guidance and intercession throughout the synodal process. The Secretariat of the Synod praised the Philippines for their unwavering faith and commitment to active participation in establishing a more synodal church.
The complete list of Philippine national shrines and minor basilicas that will participate in the Marian Moment of Prayer for the Synodal Process on May 31 is as follows:
- Minor Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, Batangas City
- Manila Metropolitan Cathedral – Minor Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, Manila
- Minor Basilica of Our Lady of Charity, Agoo, La Union
- Minor Basilica and National Shrine of Our Lady of Peñafrancia, Naga City
- Minor Basilica of Our Lady of the Visitation of Piat, Piat, Cagayan
- Immaculate Conception Cathedral and Minor Basilica, Malolos City
- Minor Basilica of Our Lady of Manaoag, Manaoag, Pangasinan
- Minor Basilica of the National Shrine of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, Quezon City
- Minor Basilica and Shrine of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary of Orani, Orani, Bataan
- Minor Basilica of La Purisima Concepcion, Santa Maria, Bulacan
- International Shrine of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage – Antipolo Cathedral
- National Shrine of Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary, La Naval de Manila, Quezon City
- National Shrine of Our Mother of Perpetual Help, Parañaque City
- National Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima, Valenzuela City
- Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal National Shrine, Muntinlupa City
- National Shrine of Mary, Help of Christians, Parañaque City
- National Shrine of Our Lady of the Visitation, Gamu, Isabela
- National Shrine of La Virgen Divina Pastora, Gapan City
- National Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes, Quezon City
- National Shrine of Nuestra Señora de la Regla, Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu
- National Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Makati City
- National Shrine of Our Lady of Candles – Jaro Cathedral, Iloilo City
- National Shrine of Our Lady of Sorrows, Dolores, Quezon
- National Shrine of Our Lady of La Salette, Silang, Cavite
- National Shrine of Our Lady of the Abandoned, Sta. Ana, Manila
- National Shrine of Nuestra Señora de la Inmaculada Concepcion de Salambao, Obando, Bulacan
On May 31, these holy sites will resound with the fervent petitions of the Filipino faithful as they seek Our Lady’s intercession for the success of the synodal process. It demonstrates the Philippines’ commitment to active participation in the growth and development of the Catholic Church and their rich spiritual heritage. (Luis Angelo Sta. Maria/Volunteer Writer/San Felipe Neri Parish)