CBCP commission on health raises to faithful’s awareness threat of Monkeypox

The Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines-Episcopal Commission on Health Care encourages the public to remain vigilant, observing health protocols and continue to pray for the safety of everyone against the new health threat of Monkeypox. Recently, the Department of Health confirms that the Philippines has already had its first case on July 28.

In an interview with Radio Veritas, Military Bishop Oscar Jaime Florencio, vice chairman of the CBCP-Episcopal Commission on Health Care, said reminded the faithful to have proper caution and care to prevent this serious illness.

“Alam natin na ang mga ganitong uri ng virus ay laging nand’yan sa ating paligid, hindi po natin masasabi na wala ‘yan, hindi totoo ‘yan. The fact that it is scientifically proven na meron, all that we can do is always make ourselves [aware] that we need to prevent it because alam natin that an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure,” said the Bishop.

He then reminded the public if they are experiencing symptoms of monkeypox, they should remain calm and consult a doctor immediately.

“Let us not put this as something as so alarming na hindi tayo makakakilos. This is undercontrol. Mayroon d’yang banta pero we are still in control,” he added.

The Department of Health announced on July 28 the first confirmed case of Monkeypox in the Philippines. It had been detected with a 31-year-old Filipino national who arrived from abroad last July 19. The case had prior travel to countries with documented Monkeypox cases.

Approximately, 23,000 confirmed cases of Monkeypox were recorded in the world, according to the latest data from the United States Federal Agency – Center for Disease Control and Prevention. (Fatima Llanza/RCAM-AOC)

 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *